Healthy teeth are extremely important for a healthy individual. The teeth are not only crucial for biting and chewing food but also deeply influence a person’s personality and confidence. Furthermore, they also provide structure to the face.
A person can have severe damage to their teeth or even lose their teeth for several reasons. Decay or diseased gums or an accident can be some of the causes for tooth loss. People used to wear dentures or fixed bridges to compensate the missing teeth. But dental implants have become a better option, since they provide better adjusting and close to a natural feel. This permanent solution can help in overcoming the problem of the missing tooth.
When a missing tooth is not replaced and is left unattended, it can cause damage to the jaw. And if several teeth are missing the damage can be greater and the remaining teeth are also negatively influenced.
Like any other medical procedure, the doctors and the patient need to consider whether the dental implants are the best choice, and should the patient get the dental implants at all. Following are the advantages and disadvantages of dental implants that can help you decide if the procedure is for you or should you consider another alternate.
The Procedure for Dental Implants
The procedure for dental implants is comprised of several steps. Several specialist dentists will perform this procedure over a course of time. First, the dentist will insert the dental implant, a titanium screw. The dentists wait for the dental implant to fuse with the jawbone. Once the dental implant is completely fused, the dentists will put together the replacement tooth with the screw.
The Advantages of Dental Implants
The obvious advantages of dental implants are:
- Dental Implants look more aesthetically pleasing.
- They Look More Natural
- Teeth replaced with dental implants don’t damage neighboring teeth unlike other procedures.
- The jaw bone is protected from degenerating because dental implants have properly replaced the missing tooth, even the roots.
- There are no chewing and speaking difficulties with this procedure.
The Disadvantage of Dental Implants
The dental implants are a great solution for tooth loss but there are some downsides to the procedure as well that need to be considered.
- There can be surgical complications like damage to the sinus cavity or some nerves. The likelihood of complication is very slim when the surgery is performed by experienced professionals.
- Since the procedure is performed in steps it takes a long time of up to 6 months.
- If proper dental care is not taken, infection can happen.
- Healing is delayed due to certain conditions, such as diabetes.
- Dental implants are an expensive procedure.
The Bottom Line
Dental Implants are often the best treatment for tooth loss. Highly qualified and experienced dentists can help with making the decision regarding whether you should get dental implants or not.