Crooked teeth in the front of the mouth can be embarrassing and difficult to keep clean. A person’s smile is the first thing noticed by others when they first meet or talk to another.
Lower teeth crowding is a normal part of late growth process of the lower jaw. As the lower jaw grows until the 40’s the lower teeth are crowded out because they are locked in by the upper teeth overlap. We normally see crowding of persons in their adult hood. Many people think this is due to the wisdom teeth putting pressure on all of the teeth. This has been dis-proven in many studies.
The upper teeth can become crowded if the teeth are too large for the size of the jawbone. The teeth will tend to go where they are pushed on. This pressure is usually from the lips pushing in and the tongue pushing out. If one of these is greater than the other the teeth will be pushed out and the stronger force will win.
Crooked teeth present a number of problems:
- Aesthetics-They look bad since the size of the teeth look altered as they are crowded into a smaller space than there is room for
- Gum disease-Teeth that are crooked are difficult to clean and therefore periodontal disease is more likely to take place in these difficult to keep clean areas.
- Cavities– Teeth that are crowded are difficult to keep clean and are more prone to decay.
So back the the question–How can i fix my crooked teeth in Macomb coutny- There are a few options to consider:
- Braces will most conservatively straighten them up. By applying a constant force to straighten the crooked teeth and making the teeth thinner to fit into the smaller arc. This is accomplished by “stripping” the enamel between the teeth.
- Dental porcelain veneers– Are used to straighten the teeth. The thin shells of porcelain work best on upper teeth considering that they can be made to widen the arch and giving a very attractive smile.
- Bonding– If the lower teeth are stained they can have composite bonding on them since this only adds to the surface of the teeth.
- Bleaching-This makes the teeth whiter and more attractive.
Call our Shelby dental office at (586)247-3500 for a free consultation appointment or visit our website at www.TheGentleDentist.com Our dental office is located in Shelby Township, Michigan – Macomb County. We provide dental care to the communities of Shelby, Washington Twp., Macomb Township, Sterling Heights, Warren, Utica, Clinton Township, Rochester Hills and beyond.
Dr. Antolak excels in patient comfort and helps provide comprehensive treatment to their patients. We provide Implant placement and restorations, Cosmetic dentistry including bleaching, porcelain veneers and bonding and general dentistry for the family. We are happy you have an interest in the dental practice and give us a call.