There are many ways to select a dentist to select for you and your family and I would like to have you consider some of the factors I feel that are important when selecting a new dentist for yourself and family. 10 traits customers look for when choosing a new dentist and a new dental home are as follows:
- Personal Referrals– The most trustworthy way to find out who a dentist is they can use is to ask their friends and family. We find that many of our new dental patients come from personal referrals and reputation in the Macomb, Shelby Twp., Clinton Township community. Facebook is a wonderful way to find out who a good dentist is by just posting the question “who is a good dentist I can trust?”
- Homey atmosphere-Since dentistry is such a personal thing, selecting a new dentist for you and your family must assure that you will feel comfortable with the environment, people who serve you and total atmosphere. Details from the reception area to the bathroom must feel like yours at home. I is critical to be treated with respect and feel listened to during all steps of the process. Since your time is so vital, it is important to get in when your dental appointment is and not be waiting for an extended period of time.
- Sterility of equipment and Cleanliness-A new dental home needs to be not only comfortable, but must conform to the strictest OSHA guidelines to make certain that you and your family are safe. Everything must be sterilized or thrown away that was previously used in someone else’s mouth. The sterilizer must be monitored to make certain that it is always working properly. Treatment rooms must be wiped down all the time and be very clean. Before choosing a new dentist home it is your right to ask for a tour and ask how things are sterilized and taken care of. We love to show off our level of attention to detail at our dental office so please ask.
- Technology– Computers and high technology are a must to make sure the new dentist you choose is current. The advancements in dentistry require technology such as computers in each room, digital x-rays that reduce radiation exposure up to 75% over regular x-rays, digital photos to relate with the patient. Paperless charting and paperless forms help to speed the process of filling all necessary forms before even stepping into the dental office. This makes the office green and is more friendly to the environment. Lasers and sonic cleaners used to clean the teeth help improve the comfort in treating dental patients.
- Full spectrum of dental services including emergency care-This is important because it allows for consistency of dental treatment. Communication can be difficult between general dentists and specialists so if you find a new dentist who provides a complete level of dental care you can also have more dental treatment done in fewer visits and therefore it is more convenient. For our high fear patients or those who require that multiple procedures be done at one visit oral sedation is available. At our dental office we perform both the surgical placement and restorative aspect of implants; complete cosmetic dentistry including porcelain veneers, Kor whitening, white fillings, and bleaching. Root canal, tooth extractions, dentures, crowns, bridges and other general dental treatment is performed in the office.
- Interest Free Payment Plans-Because dentistry can be a large financial investment finding a new dentist who has interest free plans available is important. This gives the customer the ability to have more procedures done at one time and spreading out the payments over time. They must also accept all of the major credit cards including Master Card, Visa, American Express and Discover.
- Accept dental insurance plans-Each dental insurance plan is different so it is important to call the new dental office to see if they participate with your dental insurance plan. You certainly get what you pay for especially when it comes to dental insurance. Be aware that if it seems too good to be true, it probably isn’t. The expertise of the dentist and dental team are a reflection of the fees they charge. We accept Delta Dental, Blue Cross and other dental insurance plans and or fees are in the middle of the road so we may or may not be the dentist for you, but it is worth it to see if we take your denal insurance plan.
- Time spent Explaining and having all of your questions answered– This is important because in this rushed world our biggest commodity is the time we have so it is important to respect the patient’s time- giving them the time they need for all of their questions to be answered. And at the same time, not spend too much time and too much detail if the new patient doesn’t need the detail to make a decision.
- Community involvement-it is important to give back to the community both locally and internationally. I believe that your new dental team should give back to those who they serve. We do this through our Candy Buy Back program, our Good Deed contest and through Christian mission in Haiti to treat the under privileged people there.
- Convenient location, wheelchair access and office hours-It is important to have easy access with ample parking, wheel chair access and convenient office hours including evenings and Saturdays. If you choose The Gentle Dentist as your new dental office we have Saturdays and evening appointments. Since we are in a detached medical office building located on 22 Mile Rd. just west of Hayes in Shelby Township, it is easy for us to treat “wheel chaired” patients.
Dr. Antolak treats his dental patients in a relaxed, friendly atmosphere where you are treated like a guest in the home. His motto is to “relax while we take care of your smile”. He specializes in cosmetic dentistry, implant dentistry and general dentistry using sedation dentistry if necessary for his high fear patients. He has been treating patients for the past 24 years and is located in Shelby Township, Macomb County, Michigan.